Every year you are confronted with ice in parking areas. No matter how quickly crews work to de-ice and treat sidewalks and parking areas there always seems to be a spot that remains dangerous. It is everyone’s responsibility to remain alert and practice safety when navigating to and from these potentially icy spots.
Tips when confronted with ice:
- Wear proper footwear with slip-resistant soles and good tread.
- Watch where you are stepping and adjust your pace to current surface conditions.
- If lighting is dim, assume any area that appears wet is black ice and choose an alternate path or approach with caution, tap with your foot.
- Avoid walking with your hands in your pockets or carrying heavy items in your hands, choose a backpack if available.
- Report untreated public areas.