True leisure can be refreshing, stimulating, and fulfilling; can decrease stress, increase feelings of well-being, add balance to life and improve health.
Characteristics of Leisure Activities:
· Freedom of choice: The person freely chooses the activity
· Sense of control: The person feels in charge during the activity
· Sense of enjoyment: The activity evokes pleasurable feelings
· Timelessness: Time seems to fly by while engaged in the activity
· Sense of competence: The person feels a sense of proficiency and accomplishment
· Spontaneity: The person could participate in the activity on the spur of the moment.
· Intrinsic satisfaction: The person feels a sense of doing something worthwhile
· Companionship: A sense of camaraderie and friendship is experienced
· Lack of external judgment: The person’s performance is not evaluated by others
Explore past leisure pursuits and hobbies.
Director of Clinical Services